Oddball question: really small terminals

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 00:35:03 CDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Cindy Croxton <sales at elecplus.com> wrote:
> How small is "really small"? IBM made a terminal with a 5" screen for the 4704 banking systems. http://frente-cajas.blogspot.com/

5" might be a bit small even for me! The 9" version looks pretty close
to that kind of thing I have in mind except:

1. The 9" unit is just the display; the terminal logic itself is
another box, just as big.
2. It's a 4700 series system, which AFAIK uses its own strange
protocols; it's not 3270 or VT100 compatible or ANSI serial.

But on the right lines... thanks!

Small computers running DOS aren't what I had in mind, neither are
single line displays :-)

This is along the right lines, although it's a TCP/IP network device
without serial or 3270 ports for direct connection, and it doesn't
have a screen:

http://www.axel.com/uk/id_M75.html

The 3488 was the IBM 'terminal in a pizza box I was thinking of:

http://store.flagshiptech.com/ibm-infowindow-ii-3488-v-twinax-terminal-base-t-conn-122-keyboard-no-monitor/

But's it's Twinax; can anyone remember the number of the coax 3270 equivalent??

My *ideal* device would be something like a 10" or 12" LCD panel with
terminal logic built-in: power connector, 3270 or serial port, and a
PS/2 or USB keyboard port. A terminal you can hang on the wall. Cable
it up, hang it on the wall, away you go... if I can find something
along those lines I'll take a dozen :)

Thanks

Mike

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'