Retro Reproduction.

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Oct 24 20:57:23 CDT 2015

On 10/24/2015 08:01 PM, geneb wrote:

> I wouldn't mind finding step-by-step instructions on how
> to refit a 2000 model year MaxNC 10 open loop mill.  The
> controller it has now is parallel port based and the
> control software is DOS only.

Well, this is a stepper-driven machine?  Are the stepper
drives in good condition, and are they good units?
Stepper drives have come a long way since 2000.  Gecko
stepper drives are pretty amazing.

You can run stepper drivers from the parallel port, but the
performance may be less that optimum.  I make a board that
generates steps in hardware that gives more accurate step
timing at higher speeds, and also allows closed-loop
operation if you fit encoders to the machine.  This is all
supported by the LinuxCNC program, which is pretty
fantastic.  I use it here in my shop to run a Bridgeport
mill with my own servo drives.  I also have a desktop mill
that I built mostly for taking to shows that uses my
controllers and drives.

You can check out the LinuxCNC.org web site, and see what
others are doing in the retrofit area.

Jon