The Internet & our hobby

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Fri Oct 23 22:27:52 CDT 2015

On 10/22/2015 7:54 PM, Murray McCullough wrote:
> 43 years ago around this time the Internet we use to communicate with
> was probably made possible because of TCP/IP, or Transmission Control
> Protocol/Internet Protocol created at Stanford University. Today 3
> billion people are on the net but really made it possible for this
> extravagant number was the microcomputer created at around the same
> time – the Micral in France and 4004 processor machines in the U.S.
> Our hobby supported through this web site keeps this history alive.
> Hurrah!
>
> Happy computing.
>
> Murray  :)
>
> PS  This week marks the 100th anniversary of Einstein’s Theory of
> General Relativity though published in 1916 according to Wikipedia.

Your account of the Internet and TCP/IP conflicts *significantly* with
several published accounts of the history of the Internet that used
quite reliable sources (many of them still living).  Some suggested reading:

The Dream Machine.  J.C.R. Licklider and the Revolution That Made
Computing Personal.  M. Mitchell Waldrop, Penguin

where wizards stay up late:  the origins of the internet
katie hafner, matthew lyon, Simon & Schuster

Both very enjoyable reads.