"Farm" slang terms

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Oct 18 14:46:58 CDT 2015

> So, does anyone know what the first such "farm" slang term was, and when
> and where it originated? And how about other terms with "farm" in them?
> (I came across a new one the other day, but of course I've forgotten it
> now.)

Going back a ways, it originated with growing crops.  Then, it began being
used for some other agricultural uses, such as a "pig farm".

Later, it began to be used for moderately open land, with collections of
other stuff, such as a group of windmills became a "wind farm" (Altamont
pass).

>From there, it evolved into collections of anything, such as "server
farm", and even "cube farm".