HP & 800BPI / was Re: Tape cleaner on eBay

Marc Verdiell marc.verdiell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:28:04 CDT 2015

Glen,
I'm right in the middle of resuscitating an HP7970E (1600 bpi with the HP-IB
interface). The main problem I had so far was the rubber in the reel hubs
had completely fused to the tape reels that were left on the hubs. I had to
disassemble the hub locking mechanism and use lots of careful X-Acto knife
work to separate the two. A few tape rollers were rough or stuck - just
oiled them for now. Then it started to work, I am very surprised. There are
three red switches on the motor control board inside to make the tape go
forward, reverse and fast rewind. So it's pretty easy to test if the
transport works and the motor servos and tension arms move how they are
supposed to.

Brent,
Wow, looked at your site, and you actually wrote a HP 2100 cross-assembler?
Nice. Would it work for the HP21MX too? Did you compile it using the command
line tools in XCode?

Marc