Calcomp 1039 plotter docs?

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Mon Oct 5 00:59:53 CDT 2015

Hi Simon,

thanks for your email. I took the pictures on the weekend and loaded
them onto my server - curious, whether you have got the same setup:

    http://www.baigar.de/electronics/Calcomp103X/

> than that pictured in the user guide. I took some more picts of the pcb's in
> the machine. I will post them on our hack42.nl site later today.

Great, I will check for your pictures and compare... I have got
engineering drawings (i.e. schematics) only for the power supply,
the logic board (sequencer) and the pen driver. Unfortunately the
schematics for the OPC (online plotter controller?) are missing,
i.e. exactly for the interesting PCB with the CPU there are no
schematics at the moment  :-(

> was loose inside the machine, and it seems ours is wired for current loop,
> looking at the settings decal on the inside of the backplate. How is yours
> wired?

That looks very crowded as you can see and I do not know whether
this is representative. I guess mine was used in some form of
daisy chain setup but at least the levels are RS232. Yes - I have
been able to plot data on my plotter, but the PCI/906 language
the OPC uses is quite strange and the RS232 is not that easy as it
is using hardware handshake and checks for all signals (RTS/CTS
and DSR/DTR) I think.

> I had to put away the calcomp for the time being as we had a fair
> yesterday.

Yes, that is quite a heavy machine. Mine is stored at my parent's
basement, so I only have access to the plotter and the documentation
once a month...

Best regards,

    Erik.