Sector Interleave

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:17:44 CST 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/2015 02:09 PM, Mike Stein wrote:
>
>> Nothing wrong with what you wrote that I can see; excellent tutorial
>> IMO.
>>

> The issue of "floppy interleave" pretty much went away when memory got
> cheap enough to buffer an entire track, provided the controller is capable
> of 1:1 interleave transfers.
>
> An A-B comparison with interleaved vs. track buffering is quite
> enlightening.
>
> I don't think that any modern hard drives use interleaved transfer, but
> I'm not certain.
>
> Interleaving core accesses goes *way* back, as does using extra-wide
> multi-word-at-a-time transfers.
>
> Did the IBM 650 interleave drum sectors?

One of the drum computers had the address of the next instruction as an
operand of the instruction; the programmer would scatter the instructions
according to the execution time of the instructions; IIRC "assembler"
referred to the process of converting the sequential source to the
scattered arrangement.

-- Charles