Vaxstation 4000/60 DECwindows

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sat Nov 28 13:55:33 CST 2015

Marco Rauhut wrote:

> That solved my IVP not a workstation problem... Thanks!
>
> But now while testing ivp told me can`t open Display.
>
> If i start the Vaxstation in the boot system i can use the hole Monitor.
> But when VMS started there only 25 usable lines left on Monitor.
>
> What i have done is that i have installed VMS with the alternate Console
> mode via RS232.
> After that i connect a VGA monitor with a sync seperation adapter and a
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> Remember VMS the install Environment?

Can you log in using the workstation monitor/keyboard/mouse?

If you manage to log in as SYSTEM using the workstation monitor/keyboard/mouse,
there should be a menu item or an icon you can click on to create a decterm.
It should be possible to issue @SYS$TEST:DECW$IVP in the decterm window and it
should (hopefully) work.

Maybe you can not log in using the workstation monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Is a mouse pointer and a graphic prompting you for your username and password
appearing on the monitor?

If not, is the monitor displaying anything?  Maybe the monitor can not display
the video signal from your Vaxstation 4000?

If the monitor seems to be working ok but there is no login box, maybe
decwindows has not started properly? It may help to look for errors in
SYS$MANAGER:DECW$SERVER_0_ERROR.LOG - however there is a lot of stuff in that
file and it is hard to tell which messages are are normal and which are errors.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.