flash (or ide) storage for unibus 11?

David Bridgham dab at froghouse.org
Mon Nov 23 13:38:07 CST 2015

> Otherwise it's the RM05 at 256 Meg, if I remember right. But all those
> disks are also expected to expose the actual geometry of the disk. While
> fairly straight forward, it do expose you to a rather low level
> interface, where you need to do a lot of calculations all the time.

All those old disk controllers expose the disk geometry.  I've looked at
it for the specific case of the RK11 and it doesn't look too bad.  If it
does turn into a problem, then we'll have a microcontroller on the board
too and I'll punt the calculations to it rather than doing them in the
FPGA.  And my third option is to just do the trivial mapping of the
sector/surface/cylinder numbers to LBA and waste space on the flash
device.  It's not we're so short of storage space in emulating any
number of RK, RP, or RM class disk packs.