Front Panels - Production

rod rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 23 10:13:29 CST 2015

Hi Guys
              I'm due at the screen printers on Wednesday.

  I've now incorporated what I have gleaned from the loan  panel into
the drawing set.

For 8/e panels we now have the following layers to be printed.

_On the front: _
First will be a translucent matte base coat to give a satin finish.
It looks black because of the black layer on the back of the panel.
Then either the Terracotta or the Amber and finally white.
At this point the panel is neither a Type A or Type B .
White only detail in the selector switch area and the dividers between
lamp groups can then be added to give the panel its identity.
There are two small screen separations to allow this to be done.

_On the back:_
The 8/e back  side (/f and /m differ I'll explain that later) has a
heavy black layer with clear round areas for the lamps  / LEDS to shine
through.
In just the lamp area there's another translucent matte layer. This and
the one on the front act to diffuse the light coming from the lamps/LEDS.

Thats seven layers in total and they have to be dried after each layer
goes on.
Each one needs a silk screen and when being printed registration is
critical.

Its a skilled job and not one I would care to have to do.

More news when I have it.

Rod (Panelman) Smallwood