To-days Panelman Poser

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Mon Nov 16 03:29:08 CST 2015

rod wrote:

> Hi Guys!
>                  I am the happy owner of a DEC 3000 in other words an Alpha.
> It is fully working and boots VMS and goes into DEC windows just as it
> should.
> Its running a high res 23" colour monitor in RGB
>
> As you all are aware I spend my time recreating PDP front panels.
> (Hopefully the example panel will arrive to-day and I can release the
> current batch to screening. )
>
> Anyway I thought  it would be nice to at least get some pictures up on
> the Alpha and maybe do a little panel design on it.
> If you are asking why would I want to do that. Then I might suggest you
> may not be on the right list.
>
> So there you have it;  picture display (gif, tif and so on) and a bit of
> cad on my Alpha (mono is fine.)
> What do I need and where do I get it?

John Bradley's XV is great for viewing lots of types of images and fiddling
with your DECWindows background.  It can also be used for image editing but
you probably want something more that this for designing panels.

ftp://ftp.cis.upenn.edu/pub/xv/

http://www-pi.physics.uiowa.edu/~dyson/xv/

ftp://ftp.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/vmslt98b/moreau/xv-310a2-vms.zip

As far as I remember, it's a bit of a chore to build it, however, there may be
executables available on some of the VMS freeware CDs.  Look for one with PNG
support as this was the last to be added.  If you can't find any, I can send
you one if you are happy enough to trust me.

Another possibility is to use the SWB web browser to view images but this is
a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.