PDP 11/03

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Mon Nov 9 19:06:24 CST 2015

On 11/9/2015 4:42 PM, jwsmobile wrote:

> On 11/9/2015 1:48 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>      > From: Jim Stephensn
>>
>>      >> "extra wires to bring out clock & .. 110/300 speed change"
>>
>>      > I am mainly asking if I want to hook up a terminal, can I get
>> it going
>>      > with TD, RD and GND (or 2 3 7 on a DB25), or do I need to loop
>> back any
>>      > of the other pins.
>>
>> Well, without knowing how those extra pins work, it's very hard to
>> say. Given
>> that _apparently_ one could change the baud rate externally (which
>> means that
>> there's something in the cable - or at its other end - to do baud rate
>> selection), I'd _guess_ that a stock cable probably wouldn't work.
>>
>> If you find a set of 11/780 prints, that _might_ include the specialized
>> cable for this beast, but short of that, you're talking signal
>> trace/etc time.
> The 9400-YE has the cables that formerly went to the 11-780.  I'm not
> sure what it does.  The line below that I clipped out,  about the
> M7940-YA is for the adjacent card, and has no cable, just the open
> blue one waiting for an IDE cable to the back for serial connections.
The M9400 seems to possibly be the Floppy boot and some other logic.
I've not pulled either of these since getting the system to examine them.

A post by Tony Duell some years back states that the M7940-YA may have
both a current loop and RS232 drivers for the port.  That would make
things complicated, but might explain the puzzling extra bit in the Dec
module description about extra wires.

I may see if Megan Gentry is still around with any notes on what was put
in the Dec modules guide on World.std.com

thanks
Jim