RMS [was Re: Terminology [was RE: IBM z890]]

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 11:49:31 CST 2015

On 2015-11-04 1:37 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 11/04/2015 10:42 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>>> Cool.  How about "label" versus VTOC versus "folder"  versus
>>> "directory" versus "FNT"...versus...?
>>> So many names...
>>
>> Was it considered "copyright infringement" to use the same
>> terminology as somebody else?   Like "standards" everybody had a
>> unique one of their own.
>>

> But, IBM had a WHOLE dictionary full of IBM-specific terms for
> everything.
>
> memory was storage (or main storage)
> disks were direct access storage devices (DASD)
> tapes were sequential access
> the register set of the 360 was local store (or local storage)
> microcode was in control store
> and, there is a LOT more of this that escapes me at the moment.
>
> Jon
ROS (Read Only Memory)
On S/38 and descendants  disk storage is referred to as Auxiliary
Storage and is grouped in pools know as ASP or Auxiliary Storage Pool
On some systems you had to IML (Initial Microcode Load) before IPL also
for machines like terminal controllers the control program was called
microcode so when you started it up you would do an IML.

Paul.