Testing H7864 (MicroVAX II) PSU With No Load

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 1 06:12:15 CST 2015

Some of you may recall I have a faulty H7864 PSU, which failed a while ago
with a loud pop, but no obvious physical damage. I replaced the blown
transistor (on the primary side of the large transformer), but when I power
it on,  the transistor does not switch and there is no output, so clearly
there is still a problem somewhere.

I have been spending some time drawing schematics for almost the whole
thing. I am now at the point where I intend to compare it with a working
one, probing each one side by side, to see up to where it appears to be
working. It would be awkward to have two dummy loads, just for lack of
suitable equipment. Does anyone know if it is safe to run these PSUs with no
load? Would my testing be valid without a load?

Thanks

Rob