Panaplex display history

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:54:39 CDT 2015

JOOI, does anyone know when Panaplex 7-segment displays started going the
way of the dodo, to be replaced with LED displays (and, on the back of
that, what were the advantages of a Panaplex-type display over an LED one?)

I just saved a few boards from a dumpster with such displays on (they're
actually Beckman ones, not Burroughs), but I was a little surprised to see
IC dates into 1981; I thought by then things had moved over to LED.

I'm almost certain that they're from old gas pumps - maybe the displays are
just more readable in bright sunlight than LED? (there's a sticker on one
of the PSU boards with a 'shipping date' in 1999)

cheers

Jules