Testing floppy drives

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu May 28 12:57:40 CDT 2015

On Thu, 28 May 2015, Alexandre Souza wrote:
>   Howdy guys, greetings (as always) from Brazil! :o)
>   I'm in a repairing spree! Got 5 (!) CP-500 (Brazilian TRS-80/III clone) to
> repair. All of them with single/double sided floppy drives, and the whole
> nine yards.
>   Since it is not pratical to test all these drives on CP500, is there a
> good software solution I can use on a PC for floppy drive testing? Something
> that makes repairing easier? Long time I don't get so many drives to
> repair/refurbish/align

Personally, I would use Dysan Digital Diagnostic Diskette.
There were a couple of programs for using it on TRS80, but I don't know
where to find them, so use it on a PC.

You can normally do BETTER and more accurate alignment using an analog
alignment diskette (+ 20MHz dual trace scope), but I think that the
digital is "close enough".

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com