DOS Frotz testing request

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue May 19 03:47:42 CDT 2015

David Griffith wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2015, Peter Coghlan wrote:
>
> > David Griffith wrote:

[snip]

> > None of the compiles produced any errors or informational messages -
> > there were just two warnings for pointer mismatches due to signed versus
> > unsigned chars in dumb_input.c.
> >
> > I'd say extremely portable is a valid description.  It's also extremely
> > easy to build.
>
> Cool!  What are the details on the warnings.  I don't get them with GCC or
> TurboC.

$ cc /version
HP C V7.1-015 on OpenVMS Alpha V8.3
$ cc dumb_input

        dumb_discard_old_input(strlen(continued_line_chars));
...............................^
%CC-W-PTRMISMATCH1, In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value
"continued_line_chars" is "unsigned char", which is not compatible with
"const char" because they differ by signed/unsigned attribute.
at line number 252 in file
DISK$ALPHASYS:[PETER.FROTZ-MASTER.SRC.DUMB]DUMB_INPUT.C;1

  strcat(buf, read_line_buffer);
%CC-W-PTRMISMATCH1, In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value
"buf" is "unsigned char", which is not compatible with "char" because they
differ by signed/unsigned attribute.
at line number 375 in file
DISK$ALPHASYS:[PETER.FROTZ-MASTER.SRC.DUMB]DUMB_INPUT.C;1

Regards,
Peter Coghlan