PDP-11/74 MP

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun May 17 04:54:08 CDT 2015

On 2015-05-15 22:14, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
> A correspondent just pointed me to a nice collection of photos of a (the?) 11/74 MP system:
>
> http://oboguev.livejournal.com/2696291.html

Ah, yes. Those are the photos from Dave Carroll. I've send the original
link several times in the past. They are on Google, and there are links
on that page to them.

> I assume this is the one at DEC used by the RSX-11M+ group for their multiprocessor support work.  As far as I know these didn’t become a product.  I remember the name of the machine as “Cerberus”, not sure what that label “daemon” refers to.  Maybe a DECnet node name?

Sortof. The M+ group had a system called CASTOR, which was in MA. This
was a 4-cpu system. The DECnet group also had an 11/74, but a 2-CPU
system. I don't remember for sure, but I think that was POLLUX (And yes,
these were the DECnet node names on EASYnet.) Finally, I *think* that
field service also had an 11/74. I don't know how many CPUs. This
machine might have had a name based on Cerberus.

At some point in the early 90s, the existing/remaining 11/74 components
were all shipped to Colorado Springs, where a new 4-CPU system was put
together. This system was then used by Dave Carroll for further RSX
development, and it was called PHEANX (the only free spelling of Phoenix
still available, and the reason for Phoenix should be somewhat obvious).
It remained in service until 2000, when it developed a hardware problem.
It was dismantled some time after that, and Dave took these pictures
shortly before the dismantling.
(It I remember/understood things right.)

	Johnny