HV tracking across flexible PCB strips

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:09:20 CDT 2015

On 05/11/2015 01:20 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
>> I would try to re-make the 'sandwich'.
>
> Yes, I'd certainly like to look at that route first

Hmm, while regular electrical tape is only rated for 600V, Scotch-brand
"splice tape" is rated for close to 22kV. Of course that's *through the
tape* though, so although it would insulate the conductors from the outside
world, it's not clear how effective it would be at insulating the two
conductors that are only a couple of mm apart; the tape doesn't really play
a part in that scenario, only the glue.

What I might be able to do though is separate two of the conductors from
*both* sides of the sandwich (at least along 99% of their length, can't do
much about the ends), then construct something like the following:

------------------  < tape
   ~~~               < conductor
         ~~~         < conductor
              ~~~    < conductor
==================  < lower 'bread' portion of sandwich

... that would give me a nice insulating barrier between each conductor. I
think I can get that splice tape in town, so maybe I need to pick some up
to at least assess how easy it would be to work with.

cheers

Jules