Vermont Research 5017

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Sun May 10 14:11:11 CDT 2015

FWIW ZIP, Jaz, SyQuest and Tulin are much later, into the 80's or 90s.  The
first SyQuest was not really an embedded servo; one burst per revolution for
thermal correction as I recall.

The early announced embedded servo drives were more or less in order
1975 - Vermont Research 5017
1976? - Burroughs 9383
1976 - CII D120 (Cynthia)
1976 - Diablo 400 series (which may never have shipped)
1977 - DEC RL01

FWIW the servo technology was patented about 1961 and assigned to IBM
Plated media had a troubled life in HDDs, see the Ampex Alar story at
http://chmhdd.wikifoundry.com/page/Ampex%20Alar

Tom