IBM 029 Card Punch and ASCII Machines

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 10:22:59 CDT 2015

Please forgive any typos, I'm writing this on my phone.

On Sunday, 10 May 2015, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> Not well known, but there are card codes for lower case, and in fact IBM
> operating systems could handle that though it wasn’t commonly seen.  And in
> fact there are card codes in the EBCDIC code table for all 256 possible
> 8-bit values; you’d find those in binary card decks.

On John Savard's site he has a page on punched cards and card codes. By any
chance is the representation of the card code correct for the full
eight-bit spectrum?
<http://www.quadibloc.com/comp/cardint.htm>

Also perhaps this is somewhat off topic, but were there ever card punches
on DEC machines? I know of the various readers, but not punches except I
think for the '10.

Regards,
Christian

--