RT11 / RSTS-E games

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri May 8 11:47:24 CDT 2015

On 2015-05-08 18:40, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
>> On 2015-05-08 17:41, John Many Jars wrote:
>>> Okay, I'm game.  What is it written in?  ...and where may I find it?  I
>>> thought someone said they already had it working?
>
> There's been a flurry of traffic and at least one assumption made.

Right. My mistake.

> What I posted that I said I have is the original Infocom RT-11 engine,
> decompiled to Macro-11 source that someone sent me.  The original
> compiles just fine on real RT-11, but I did a one-line hack at VCF
> East 8 to allow it to compile and run on RSTS.

Yup. Nice that you have it, though.

>  ZEMU is an entirely
> different thing, also Macro-11 source, and has been successfully
> compiled on RT-11 and RSX-11 but not yet (as far as anyone knows)
> compiled and run under RT-11 emulation on RSTS/E.  I am away from my
> repositories for the weekend, so I can't just peek and see what's
> where.  If nobody grabs ZEMU source and tries it out on RSTS in the
> next few days, I'll be free again next week to see where things stand.

If someone could find out if it works, or fix it so that it does work,
it would be wonderful.

> Also, AFAIK, the Infocom-written Z-machine I have plays V3 games only
> (there are only 1 or 2 V1 or V2 files anyway).  ZEMU plays V1-V8 and
> will likely provide a nicer experience.

Actually, V1 and V2 games are the ones I have definitely not tested. As
you say - there aren't that many. So, if you actually do have one, be
warned that the ZEMU code is untested. That said, any bugs should be
easy to fix...

I believe that only a very early version of Zork I was ever released
using the V1 version of the Z-machine. Zork II might have existed in a
release for V2, but I think pretty much everything else is V3 or later,
and Zork I and II were released in V3 format as well.

	Johnny