RT11 / RSTS-E games

John Many Jars john at yoyodyne-propulsion.net
Thu May 7 15:39:53 CDT 2015

On 7 May 2015 at 19:41, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM, John Many Jars
> <john at yoyodyne-propulsion.net> wrote:
> > Anyone got any RT11/RSTS-E games?  I'm back on with my project to
> recreate
> > the PDP-11 that I goofed around with when I was a kid....
>
> Are you trying to recreate that experience and play games you did
> play, or are you looking for games you can play now?

Kind of both.  What I'm looking to do is to have in my homebrew BBS (which
is a museum in itself) a RSTS "door" with the largest number of good old
DEC games I can find.

> > I have 2.52 version of Dungeon
>
> That's definitely missing some features (puzzles) from later versions.
> I don't recall what does and doesn't backport from the VMS-era
> versions.

I used to have 1.2b.   This one at least has the end game.  I compiled it
in RT11 using the instructions here:

http://gunkies.org/wiki/Compiling_Dungeon_on_RT-11

I'd love even newer version...

> > and a version of Star Trek.
>
> Essential!
>
> >  Anyone got anything else?
>
> If you are looking for games you _can_ play, a couple of years ago at
> VCFe, I hacked one of the RT-11 Z-Machines to run on RSTS/E (it needed
> one extra system call to do with memory allocation) so we could play
> Zork, Planetfall, etc., on Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70.  If you wanted
> that I could try to dig it up.  You just need a fistful of .Z3 files
> to play, then.
>
> That would be OUTSTANDING, as I was going to do that via some Ruby code
that I found that doesn't quite work.  It would be even cooler to have it
on the PDP!

> I also used to have a number of RT-11 games when I was in front of a
> PDP-11 every day.  I know I have them on an RL01 pack...

I'd love to have those as well!  Thanks in advance for your help!