Sun dead battery / unresponsive openboot

Jerry Kemp other at oryx.us
Wed May 6 23:38:00 CDT 2015

I haven't had a chance to catch up on email for a few days, so I am hoping this
is old stuff and you have your box up and running.

I have two comments for you.

1. in addition to Ryan's break comment, you may also want to try a STOP-N ,
which should reset the OBP back to defaults.

2. Back in the early 2000's, I was at a small company, and one day my boss
brought me a stack of Ultra-1's and Ultra-2, which we used small servers,
serving up DNS, FTP, etc.

Several had dead OBP batteries, but I was still able to boot them, although I
still received the error.   I was too lazy to do anything (physical) about that,
but what I did, was to run a script, early in the boot process, to assign a mac
address to the ethernet card, before any daemons came up, and those boxes served
us well for many years.    The script was a really simple one liner of something
like

ifconfig hme0 ethers 08:00:20:c0:ff:ee

or something similar.

Again, hope you have this all figured out and running.

Jerry