TD Systems TDL-11 QBUS (SCSI?) card

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon May 4 00:02:59 CDT 2015

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Seth Morabito <lists at loomcom.com> wrote:
> * On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 12:00:51AM -0700, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From a very quick look at the TDL-11 firmware dump I can see some
>> similarities to the TDL-12 firmware. In particular I can see some
>> binary data that would be DMA'd into the PDP-11 host memory that would
>> be executed as the host side communication channel to the TDL-11 on
>> board configuration utility.
>
> One difference at my first glance seems to be the lack of a BOOT
> routine.  I tried playing with the card last night to see if it put
> anything at 17773000, but either my DIP switches are not configuring
> the card to put anything at that address, or it simply doesn't have a
> bootstrap.
>
> (The system I'm using to test it on is a KDF11-J, so I made sure to
> disable its on-board bootstrap first)

"KDF11-J" what's that? Do you mean M8189 KDF11-B 11/23-PLUS?

If so, do you have the 23-380E4 & 23-381E4 (KDF11B-BH) or 23-453E4 &
23-454E4 (KDF11B-BJ) firmware with the MAP command? If you do then you
should be able to use that to scan the I/O space to see where the
TDL-11 CSR is located. The default should be 17774400. If it does not
appear to be located there but you can identify where it is located
maybe you can figure out how the dip switches map to the CSR address
bits and relocate it to the standard address.

On the TDL-12 you would use ODT to write 1000-octal to the CSR base
register and then begin execution at 1000-octal after the controller
DMA'd the host side DMON communication code there. After disassembling
the TDL-11 firmware it appears that you might need to write 400-octal
to the CSR base register instead of 1000-octal to get the controller
to DMA the DMON communication code to 1000-octal.

If that works and the code is DMA'd to 1000-octal and you start
execution there it should result in this menu display on the console:
"IAX 3.2 (C)1984 TD Systems\r\n"
" B  Boot\r\n"
" C  Configuration\r\n"
" D  Display\r\n"
" E  Exercise\r\n"
" F  Format\r\n"
" S  SCSI Cmd\r\n"
" T  Test TDL\r\n"
" W  Write BSF"
Followed by a "DMON= " prompt where you would enter one of the above choices.

-Glen