Visual Basic Question

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at verizon.net
Sat May 2 14:57:54 CDT 2015

On 4/21/2015 4:25 PM, Dave G4UGM wrote:
> [...]
An update on this software/hardware adventure:

I have not got a 16 bit capable version of VB4 so I have not started
that yet.  The thunking advice is quite relevant since the driver talks
directly to the ISA card.

I am using Visual C++ v1.52 and I am able to write and compile and debug
a short piece of code that calls the 16 bit DLL.  There is a conflict in
the calling argument list though,
the manual and the include file Cproto.h say that the directory string
is passed as a 'far pointer', however Visual C++ says it must be a near
pointer.  When I run the code
and step thru it using the debugger the first call to acq_open returns a
code integer that indicates one of the passed parameters is wrong, don't
know which one.

I am running under win98se and a companion executable, winvect.exe, is
provided to test the DLL out.  It works just fine.  I run it from a
MS-DOS window and when it
starts it opens up a window with graphics and plots the data coming from
the spectrometer.

I used a utility, scanbin.exe, to tell me what the exe and dll files
were and it indicates the C++ and winvect.exe are both 'Windows
executables 16 bit'.

The ISA acquisition card uses DMA is this incompatible inside the debugger?