RL02K Pack Reliability/Characteristics

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Mon Mar 30 11:07:23 CDT 2015

Is an unmodified RL02 drive involved in this process or have you somehow
modified a drive and attached the USB interface to the guts?

In an unmodified drive, you can adjust the read gain (it's part of the
tuneup/calibration process) and I found that after doing this adjustment
and even increasing the gain slightly beyond what the spec called out,
I was able to turn suspect or unreliable packs to reliable ones.

I think you can encounter varying read levels from the packs as a function
of the drives they were written on and maybe even degradation in signal
level over time.  A slight "tweak" to your read gain can make up for this,
that is, if you still have the read amplifier circuit in the drive :-)

Chris

--
Chris Elmquist