Mac SE/30 making zipping and buzzing noises

dave at 661.org dave at 661.org
Fri Mar 20 00:39:29 CDT 2015

I'm gradually restoring a Mac SE/30.  Today I got a new PRAM battery and
installed it.  There was no battery leakage, so I'm good there.  The
machine seems to run just fine.  The big problem now is that even though
nothing should be emitted from the speaker, I'm getting zips, buzzes, and
burbles from it depending on what the computer is doing at the time.  I'm
quite sure the the sound circuitry is somehow picking up RF noise from the
system bus.  What does this symptom indicate?  Should I recap the whole
machine?

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org