11/23+ Console cables

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:05:36 CDT 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> This may be common knowledge here, but I was unaware of it (and, AFAIK, the
> DEC documentation doesn't point this out), so here goes...
>
> It turns out one doesn't need the fancy cab-kit to connect up to an 11/23+'s
> console. The headers on the card are completely compatible with standard
> DLV11-J connectors, and a DLV11-J cable can be used to connect up to an
> 11/23+ card. (One has to select the desired baud rate with the DIP switches
> on the card, of course.) I have verified this by trying it, and it worked.
>
> The cabkits merely allow one to select the baud rate at the console connector
> (via a clock generator on the cabkit, and the 'external clock' input on the
> serial interface). This implies that one should be able to plug a cabkit into
> an appropriately configured DLV11-J (external serial clock select), and
> select the baud rate via the switch on the cabkit. I haven't tried that,
> though.

If anyone is looking for the real cabkit for the M8189 PDP-11/23+  JT
Computer currently has some listed on eBay for $45. There were 5
listed, 2 sold last week:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151615474481
CK-KDF11-BA M8189 CABKIT INCLUDES PANEL AND CABLES

I finally got around to buying a CK-KDJ11-D cabkit for the M7554
KDJ11-D directly from their website ( www.jtcomputer.com ) a week ago.
I've had good results buying a few things from them.