[RANT] EX-PARROT (Was:False Beeprog. AGAIN.

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 23 17:39:05 CDT 2015

On 2015-Jun-23, at 2:58 PM, Alexandre Souza wrote:
>> Now, if someone actually have one of these devices, and can verify that it actually bricks it, then we can talk. Until then, all I have is the above information from Elnec, which do not suggest anything beyond showing a message, and not continuing past that point.
>
>   I have, I've seen it be bricked by the software.

I'm not familiar with the Beeprog in detail, so I'm just asking here...

From what has been said the Beeprog requires a software controller, I take it it's not a standalone device, and people have been using the Elnec software to control the counterfeit hardware.

So what exactly does bricked mean here? That, after trying to run it from a new version of Elnec software, it will no longer run with the earlier version of the ELNEC software from before the counterfeits came to ELNEC's attention?
As much as a user may be annoyed with that and not endear Elnec to them, it still seems like that would within Elnec's 'rights' (whatever those are here).

If it will no longer run with software from the counterfeiter, or software one wrote oneself, then the outrage may be justified.
But did the counterfeiter ever produce their own controller software?