1990 Era computer room

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 16:11:02 CDT 2015

On 06/22/2015 11:43 PM, Christian Kennedy wrote:
> I think the hint is on the back.  This is a story of Delaine Donohue
> retiring from D&B where he created and ran the National Business
> Information Center and the Central Data Collection Group between the
> early 70s and early 80s.  He retired in ’89, so it’s not unreasonable to
> assume 80’s vintage in the context of D&B — although the drives do
> suggest earlier rather than later in the decade.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" etc. - maybe there was significant risk
in replacing an old but reliable system.

> so I suppose it’s
> possible that these are comm processors — although IIRC most of the
> original NCSS packet stuff was PDP-11 based.

To me it looks like those are pairs of analog moving-coil meters on the
fronts, either side of the blinkenlights, which seems a little odd (I mean
sure, maybe one such meter for checking/monitoring power inputs, but even
then I'm surprised it would be right there on the front panels). It makes
me wonder if these aren't some form of multi-channel data logging devices,
rather than a general-purpose computer.