[RANT]False Beeprog. AGAIN.

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Tue Jun 23 16:00:55 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-23 22:05, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 06/23/2015 12:03 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> What is in the NVRAM? And how did it get there in the first place? Are
>> you saying that it is impossible to reprogram the device with some other
>> firmware after you have tried the version Elnec have which detects your
>> clone?
>
> It's possible, but as I understand it, reprogramming involves using a
> PICKit programming tool, something not everyone has access to.  The
> point is that prior to Elnec doing their little act of revenge, the
> clone programmer worked just fine.  Afterwards, not so much.

So it is recoverable...

I assume the system can be upgraded in the field through some built in
function in the firmware, and that function is also no longer available
after installing the "latest" version then.

Well, the criminal part is obviously done by the company cloning the
device in the first place. Further aggravated by selling it as some
other device it is not. So they are fraudulent both to Elnec and to end
users.

I know that in the US people sue for all kind of things, and sometimes
the most amazing things stand up in courts, so I wouldn't be surprised
to learn that this could hold up as well, but in my view, Elnec was
perfectly in their right to do what they have done.

How about leaving it at that then? People can disagree with me all they
want.

	Johnny