6 historic tech items that were rescued from the trash

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Sat Jun 20 10:57:46 CDT 2015

I have gotten some of my best stuff from the trash ... One day I will never
forget when I was doing my undergrad... the CS department had just gotten
their own building (previously EE/CS shared a building) and they were
cleaning house and moving out ... it was incredible; the gallery on each of
the four floors of the building had just a long row of wheelie bins... they
were each probably twice the size of your average shop garbage can ... and
they were just piled high with old workstations, peripherals, parts,
cables, software, books ... Long having lost my shame about garbage
digging, LOL, I got almost first crack at it ... once they saw me doing it,
the rest of the students realized that it was open season ... everyone went
home happy with armloads of stuff ... much celebration was had ... it was
great :O Fortunately the office where I was working part-time let me stash
some stuff while I digested it into loads that I could carry on the bus :O

Best,

Sean