Windows and devices - was Re: using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Wed Jun 17 12:50:21 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-16 1:14 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
> Maybe this isn't the best time or place for this particular rant,
> but
in my opinion, Windows' implementation of USB is fundamentally broken.
It's a mouse, you stupid computer! You shouldn't need to spend a minute
or more installing a new device driver for it! And you shouldn't need to
install the driver yet again if I poke it in a different hole than I did
last time! Every other ******* OS on the planet is smart enough to say
"Oh, a mouse! I know how to use those!" within a handful of milliseconds!

Here's a cute gotcha I hit this week:

- Have a running Windows 8.1 machine with PS/2 keyboard.
- Shut it down, start up with only USB keyboard.
- Shut down and boot again with PS/2 keyboard atached.
- Windows ignores it (although BIOS flashes lights normally, etc).
- Registry change (found by google) & reboot brings it back to life.

Can't imagine how many good keyboards were dumpster'd over that one.

--Toby