using new technology on old machines

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 06:28:15 CDT 2015

I found it easier to think of it in DC terms. So the Cap charges through R5
+ R3 and R9 + R8.

As the Cap charges the voltage on the base of Q1 rises until it turns on,
which then turns on Q2.

At this point the cap is then charged (or discharged) in the reverse
direction via Q2, D5 and R4 until Q1 turns off.....

> At first glance I thought R9 might be there to provide some hysteresis in
the
> switching thresholds for the RC charge/discharge but it looks like it acts
in the
> opposite direction to that.
>
> The base circuit of Q3 (the first stage of buffering) will draw current
from the
> high-impedance side (R8,R9) of the oscillator output, pulling up the C5,R9
> junction when Q2 is off, so it will probably affect the oscillator and be
> necessary to get the 'proper' functioning of the oscillator portion of the
> circuit.

I included that in my LTSpice model....
... but it doesn't actually have that much effect...

Dave
G4UGM