using new technology on old machines

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 17:35:29 CDT 2015

I did don't know where 484 came from

> I suspect many of the parts are not that critical.

I don't think so either, but I see from:-

http://dustyoldcomputers.com/pdp-common/reference/drawings/modules/m/m452.pd

that the original appears to use a 2k 10-turn pot, and a 7440 output buffer,
neither of which are in my rather extensive junk box.
In fact the 7440 are rather rare, and I see the cheapest I can get them for
is around $4.00 each.

I do however have a tube of pic 16f84 chips and a few 4Mhz crystals and so
could build a suitable generator with 1 x IC and 1 xtal.

The great thing about PIC, Arduino and FPGA is they allow the creation of
something which is as functionally identical to the original as you can get
without duplicating it.

> > .. its also a nasty hybrid design with DC biased NPN and PNP
> > transistors. I find it ugly and can see it being a pig to debug,
> > though it simulates fine in LTspice...
>
> I didn't find it that hard to basically understand in my head. After all,
there
> are only 4 transistors, and 2 of those are just an output buffer. Quite
why
> having both NPN and PNP transistors makes it harder to understand I do not
> know.

I am really used to RF circuits so am puzzled there is no inductor. It kind
of looks like a Darlington Pair but it isn't.
What I don't understand is why the emitter of Q1 is spliced in what I assume
is a voltage divider in the collector of q2.
I was expecting a multivibrator circuit...

> I will leave the flames about Spice and simulation packages in general for
> another day.

You are touchy. Would it help if I used the original Spice2 written in
Fortran IV. It still works. Sadly I don't have a real mainframe but have to
use Hercules to run it....

> -tony

Dave