using new technology on old machines

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 23:40:00 CDT 2015

>     > I could replace an M1 Carbine trigger spring on the spot, or a HMMWV
>     > taillamp housing ... Should I criticize you for not having SAE grade 8
>     > hardware on hand, or Bristo wrenches
>
> I think Tony's point was that someone who's into vintage computers ought to
> have a stock of suitable parts for them.
>
> So unless he's into older guns, or cars, were he not to have things like SAE
> 8 hardware around, that would be understandable - he doesn't do them.

Exactly. I don't do firearms at all (we have various IMHO ridiculous laws in the UK,
but I do not want to start that debate) and while I have repaired many cars in the
past, I don't drive and don't, therefore, own a car of any type.

But if you are going to repair/restore something then IMHO it makes a lot of
sense to have common spares around. It's not like I am suggesting you should
keep stocks of obscure HP custom microprocessors, or even things like 2901
bit-slice chips. But common TTL parts, transistors, etc are used in many
machines, and if you are going to restore the real hardware you are (a) going
to need them and (b) are going to need to now how they work so you can
trace faults.

> Having said that, _I_ don't have 2N3904s nor NE555s around either! I do have
> a modest number of parts (e.g. 4164's, 40-ping Berg shells, .250 tab
> hardware, etc, etc) - a large enough collection that I just had to
> re-organize and add more parts holders (although that was mostly because I
> went berserk at the local Radio Shack in the 80% off sale). But it takes a
> long time to build up a really comprehensive collection of parts.

One method that works for me is that if you are buying a fairly cheap part, buy
10 of them and put the rest in stock. Or more than 10 if it is something really
common.

-tony