O/S design & implementation - was Re: FPGA tricks - Re: using new technology on old machines

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Mon Jun 15 20:18:34 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-15 9:11 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Jun 15, 2015, at 8:09 PM, ben <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/15/2015 4:42 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
>>
>>> I think Tanenbaum should be fine? A lot of it is fairly timeless.
>>
>> The latest version is *useless*. The racoons on the cover tells alot.
>
> Or you could just read “The structure of the THE operating system” by E.W.Dijkstra, and follow its principles.

Another essential read in this vein is "Classic Operating Systems" by
Per Brinch Hansen[1], which is really an anthology of papers &
satisfyingly meaty.

Perhaps like me you will be left feeling that we were so much better at
this stuff 40 years ago. Also that many "modern" operating system ideas
were invented much earlier than we might be tempted to think. (Multics
is the usually cited case, but this book has dozens of other examples.)

--Toby

[1] http://www.amazon.ca/dp/038795113X