First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Mon Jun 15 11:50:43 CDT 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Mark J. Blair wrote:

> Thanks, I will read that. But how do I enter the reply command when the
> BACKUP program is hogging the console? Is there a VMS equivalent to the
> way a task can be suspended in UNIX with ^Z?

There are several:

	$ submit /queue=sys$batch /noprint foo.com
	$ run /detached foo.exe
	$ spawn /nolog /process==spawned_foo foo.exe

You need to read a little tome entitled "Mastering VMS" by David W. Byron or
maybe "The VMS User's Manual" that came with VAX/VMS Version 5.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn