TRS80, other than model 1

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 12:07:17 CDT 2015

Fred  and others -  I  stand   corrected    these are probably model 12 or
maybe model  16... did they network  the Xenix  ones? maybe that is why
there  are  many of them.  I recall one  large  RS   printer was  with the group?

Guess  I  should have looked  closer  last   time  I was in that  area.

on another topic  we need trs 80  model 100  to give the  college to go in
the  tools of the journalist  display need   not  work  just look  nice..
reporters used these  for field  reporting .

If  you think about it many things are 'a tool of the  journalist"   gosh!
we endowed them  with candle stick phones,  some various other old phones,
old pens, old typewritters, studio and   portable   video cameras, video
recorders in  many sizes and  formats ... the  list  goes on!

Ed#  _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org)

In a message dated 6/13/2015 9:06:14 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
cisin at xenosoft.com writes:

>>  something totally off topic  from the 8S  machines   there  are   some
>> trs80 radio shack things that are huge like  the MODEL 2 was but these
were
>> later and  had a 3   number designator ?  there are many as I remember
one
>>  will be  kept  another kept  for offsite displays   but  the  others
will
>> goooooooo........
> I  don't remember anything beyond the II/12/16 series, but no one tells
>  me anything.

In addition to the model 1, . . .
The model 1 line was  converted from a "component" system to a single box.
For those not  familiar, it resembled a Northstar Dimension.  Keyboard,
screen, two  5.25" floppies in a terminal like case.  That was the model 3.
Default  disk format was double density.  Since the WD 179x controller
could  not write a truly exact model 1 format single density disk (did not
support certain data address marks), there were some kludges and changes
in TRS-DOS, so there were minor glitches in the "upgrade path".
Radio  Shack eventually cut a deal to market L-DOS as TRS-DOS 6.
("And Randy Cook  is now finally collecting royalties!")

Soon, the model 4 was made  available - same basic machine with 80x24 video
(V 51x16), green screen, a  few missing keys provided, and ability to
remap the ROM from the memory  map.  Finally, CP/M was available without
memory remapping hardware,  nor software kludge of having TPA not in low
RAM.
The college got a whole  lab full of model 3's converted into model 4's, at
a price per each that  was only slightly more than buying new model 4's.

Model 4P was luggable  version, vaguely resembling early Compaq.

Model 2 wasn't what I  would call "huge", but such is relative.
It was completely unrelated to  model 1, other than name, and
naming it's OS (mutually incompatible with  model 1/3) "TRS-DOS".
But, CP/M was also available.
It had an 8" drive,  and "huge" external case if you wanted more
than one.

Radio Shack  came out with a 68000 CPU board!    and Xenix
It could be used  instead of the Z80 CPU, or have BOTH!  (12 and 16)

In terms of  "huge", there were a few other machines that rarely,
if ever, actually made  it to market, such as the "Tandy 10",
built into a desk, and sold  exclusively through
"Radio Shack Computer Center"s.

Grumpy Ol'  Fred              cisin at xenosoft.com