Madeirs (was 80 column (un)punched cards)

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:54:30 CDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Boone" <drb at msu.edu>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: Madeirs (was 80 column (un)punched
cards)

> > "all unperforated - ha ha ha!"  (obscure and
> > lame reference to a line
> > in Flanders and Swann's 'Have some Madeira,
> > M'dear!' that was
> > apparently too risque for the American
> > sensibility ;-).
>
> The Limeliters covered it in the US in 1961, so
> apparently not. :)
>
> De

Well, the reference was to the following lines:

"He had slyly inveigled her up to his flat
To view his collection of stamps
(All unperforated, heh, heh, heh...)
[said in a most lewd and evil aside]

"And he said as he hastened to put out the cat
The wine, his cigar and the lamps,
Have some Madeira, m'dear!"

The 'All unperforated...' line (my favourite) was
in the English versions but for some reason they
(and the Limeliters) left it out of the American
version.