DEC Runoff to any modern format conversion - MORE INFO

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Fri Jun 5 18:54:31 CDT 2015

Hi

Thanks for all the ideas.

Apparently there is nothing off the shelf; I have sent copies of one of the
two manuals to three of us who indicated they would try something and will
be happy to do the same for anyone else.

AFAIK, DEC RUNOFF is only similar to other runoffs in that it uses a period
"." at the beginning of a line to designate a command.    Most . commands
span the single line but some have multi-line and/or multi file
implications. E.g.

Something like

.HL 1 Overview of MSCP Subsystem

Converts to

<h1 style="text-align:left;"> Overview of MSCP Subsystem</h1>

Most of the conversions are obvious but some are a bit more complex, in
particular the

.require command which apparently assembles the chapter files into a book.

.referencepoint command which is some form of anchor, perhaps for an index
since so far it always seems to follow a HL command so maybe

.HL 1 Overview of MSCP Subsystem

.referencepoint overvw_mscp_sub

Converts to

<h1 name="overvw_mscp_sub" ID="overvw_mscp_sub" style="text-align:left;  ">
Overview of MSCP Subsystem</h1>

With the ID being called from a Table Of Contents built to include the full
name and page number

It looks like a multipass converter would be the way to go.  Anyhow this is
a bit beyond my current coding skill but if anyone else wants to try a
converter I'd like to work with them

Tom