H960 blank panel clips

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Jul 28 10:29:23 CDT 2015

On 27/07/2015 23:13, Tothwolf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2015, John Wilson wrote:
>> The only thing here is, it's a *terrible* design.  Those damn nubs
>> snap off so easily (I'm sure decades of outgassing haven't helped),
>> even when you're expecting it and being super careful.

Yes, even in the late 70s i recall them being considered fragile.

> Are the original parts made of nylon? If so, that might explain the
> tendency for them to break. Nylon 6/6 is hygroscopic, and over a long
> period of time, it could very well be swelling up just enough so the
> bulb portions are more likely to break off.

No, they're ABS - at least mine are, I just tested a few.  I don't know
what grade, though, and perhaps something more flexible and forgiving -
a different grade of ABS, semi-rigid PVC, or nylon would be better.

My suggestion, however, would be to incorporate a vertical slit in the
ball and a couple of millimeters of the stem, so they're a less tight
and less critical fit.  Might help, especially with a less brittle plastic.

--
Pete

Pete Turnbull