PDP 11 gear finally moved

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 08:53:59 CDT 2015

> > Do you seriously replace both headlight bulbs when one fails? I know of
> > nobody who does that. Generally you carry a spare bulb kit and a screwdriver
> > and if a bulb fails, pull over and change it.

> and - like the capacitor replacement question this is an "it depends".
> For some cars - including the Mercedes A-class (at least earlier models) - it is
> almost impossible to change the headlight bulb when the car is at ground level
> because it is accessed through a hatch in the wheel arch, whereas if the car

ARGH!!!

But presumably you carry a jack and tools to change a wheel. Can you not just
remove the wheel on the correct side to reach the hatch (not that I want to work
on a car not supported on proper axle stands...)

Having had a number of bulbs that failed shortly (but not very shortly) after
installation (nothing to do with headlamps, and not quartz-halogen bulbs so
it was not contamination of the envelope that was the problem) I wonder if
necessarily changing a good bulb is a good idea...

> is up on the garage lift with the wheel removed it is trivial. In that case it is
> probably best to change both bulbs when one fails.

Why not just change them both as part of the 12000 mile service (or whatever)?

I am sure I once heard of a regulation that car bulbs (at least the legally required ones)
had to be changeable at the roadside with a minimum of tools. Looks like that is
universally ignored....

-tony