PDP 11 gear finally moved

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Mon Jul 20 21:03:59 CDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:

>>> It is always a good idea to replace electrolytic capacitors in power
>>> supplies. The rest of the advice is sound.
>
>> Can you please clarify if this statement represents the policy of the
>> Living Computer Museum or is it something more personal?  Perhaps some
>> qualification or a re-phrasing would be useful as it does not appear to
>> make sense as it stands?
>
> This is the policy of Living Computer Museum.  It is based on the
> cumulative experience of multiple very senior electrical engineers[1]
> doing restorations here, in conjunction with industry white papers with
> tables of decay rates for the aluminum electrolytics that indicate that,
> *no matter what*, they lose capacitance over time, until c. 14 years
> from manufacturer date they are at 10% of rating.

[...]

>> I think you may have seen or participated in some of the many
>> discussions we have had on this topic on this list?  In light of these
>> discussions, I find it hard to see how a categorical statement such as
>> this one could be justified.
>
> Since the proponents of this practice make categorical statements with
> no evidence that they want to listen to reasoned explanations, I long
> ago gave over trying to convince them, and simply respond when someone
> makes a statement to a newbie which will result in frustration and
> failure for the unfortunate recipient of this advice.

Rich,

Do you happen to have a list of whitepapers and/or links on hand? I too am
getting tired of repeating the same thing over and over and compiling this
sort of information in a single location might be helpful. Buried in my
own archives I have quite a few papers and datasheets in pdf format, but
they are all mixed in with everything else so finding them would be quite
a challenge.