OpenVMS Alpha V7.3

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri Jul 17 09:04:38 CDT 2015

I've got a few to try so I'll burn those today and see what happens. For
the 8.4 disc I have, I used the same process to burn the disc that I did
for OpenVMS VAX V7.3 ... I just copied the *.iso to a Mac and used Disk
Utility to burn the *.iso just to a regular CD-R. For V7.3 VAX this
produced a perfectly good bootable CD, but on Alpha, when I try to boot the
disc, it looks like it'll get started, but it will churn for a little while
but eventually come back and say it can't find the file SYSBOOT.EXE.

I know the monitor environment variable BOOT_OSFLAGS needs to be set to 0,0
and I've ensured that's done ...

I definitely get the sense that my Alpha is a little more "finicky" than my
VAXen are ... seems to be kind of picky about what it will run and what
hardware it will work with! I'll try these disc images today and write back
with my experiences; I hope I can get at least one of them to come up :O

Tru64 and NetBSD boot fine on this machine but I've never been able to get
it to run OpenVMS ... I'm trying to rectify that this week :O

Best,

Sean