Time to dig out some of my DEC XX2247 keys

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 23:05:05 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM, Ali <cctalk at fahimi.net> wrote:
>> I've done it.  ISTR it was around $8-$10 for one key.  Might be $15
>> now.  Copying pretty much always cheaper than code cuts...

> What I tried to do was take the lock in and have them make a key. Not just copy a key...

Right.  More places can likely copy than code cut an ACE key.  I found
a place in Columbus that could do it, but certainly not every place.

> As an aside since the Chicago Co. also made the keys/locks for the IBM 5170 is there a catalog/code conversion book that describes how to make locks for a given 5170 key?

Code books are for looking up the requisite cuts/pins/wafers to make
either locks or keys.  A competent commercial locksmith who has the
right tools and parts should be able to do it.

-ethan