Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 21:11:58 CDT 2015

This brings up a good point:  just because a D Flip Flop is clocked by
something other than a system-wide (or subsystem-wide) clock does not
turn it into a latch.  Flip flops can clocked by combinatorial inputs.
This can be a problematic thing of course, as they can cause glitch
problems - had a couple of those in our student-designed 12 bit
computer, where I ended up feeding the combinatorial input into a D Flip
flop that was clocked by the FPGA-wide 50 Mhz clock, and then fed the
output of that to the flip flops (in my case JK rather than D, but the
idea would be the same).

JRJ