PDP 12 modes

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Jul 15 10:45:09 CDT 2015

On 07/14/2015 01:18 PM, Sherman Foy wrote:

> It is possible that something written for the LINC would be run in LINC mode for high percentages of the time.  That code might have some "patches" that ran in PDP mode after review and revision.
>
> It could be that such code was modified from LINC code to a PDP-12 routine using the 12 as a "development system" to test and implement such patches.

I can verify that LAP-6 ran without touching a single word
of the tape on a PDP-12.  We had a machine with two of the
fixed-head hard drives, and they emulated a (very fast)
LINCTAPE.  You could copy your system tape to the hard drive
and then boot off that by setting a different instruction on
the front panel switches, and it ran like lightning.

Jon