Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Alan Hightower alan at alanlee.org
Tue Jul 14 13:14:47 CDT 2015

Determinism. Unless you run your software simulator bare-metal - which
most aren't - cycle accuracy is always a race. Before you say modern
processors are 100,000 times faster than emulated ones - so just spin
wait until the next virtual time tick, that is always a moving ratio or
opportunity for a context switch right at the threshold. I might want to
emulate a vintage i7 on an i19 one day.

In my mind, take the best of both worlds. Emulate at an RTL level to
produce as accurate of a functional model possible. Then simulate the
design in things like Verilator to create a software runable emulation.

Not to mention it's a deeper emersion to recreate the how rather than
just the result of an instruction.

-Alan